ponedjeljak, 25. kolovoza 2014.

Snow White Blood Red by Cameron Jace review

What if all you knew about fairy tales was wrong?

Book description of Snow White Blood Red: A Grimm Diaries Prequel as told by the Snow White Queen:
I have always wondered why you never asked about my name. Was I so superficial to you? So stereotypical and mundane? Why did you treat me as if I were just the monster of the week? You know what I think? You never had the time to really hate me. You wanted to hate me, long before you even met me. You wanted to scrape my existence and avenge your childhood princess by laying all blame on me. What if they didn’t call me the Evil Queen, what if I told you the real story from my point of view instead of hers, would you ever think of me as an angel? Could I ever make you care? I know that deep inside of you, you adore me, but you’re just scared, afraid to admit how much you love the Snow White Queen.


This Grimm Diaries Prequels are a number of short books in the form of epistolary diary entries. The diaries are more of teasers for the upcoming series: The Grimm Diaries, allowing you to get a glimpse of what to expect of the series.


It’s unknown to the common human being that most of the characters in fairy tales are real immortals living among us. Some of them know who they are and some of them don’t. Living too long can make you forget who you really are and what you were meant to be.They lived before you were born, and will continue to live after you die. That is why they are carved in the inner skeletons of your soul like a birthmark. The fact that you have been introduced to them in books does not mean they didn’t exist in your dreams since long ago.


I didn’t know what to read after Isla. She was perfect to me so I decided to read something short that I can finish fast. I don’t know how I found this book but it’s good that I found it.

Cameron Jace wrote The Grimm Diaries Prequels series; random and scattered pages found in the Grimm Diaries that have not been included in the main seven volume diaries. Each entry written by a different character.

The purpose of the diaries is to give you an idea of what to expect from the series and its characters. These are short stories of the series: The Grimm DairiesThe Grim Diaries Prequels consist of 20 short stories:

  1. Snow White Blood Red (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #1) 
  2. Ashes to Ashes and Cinder to Cinder (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #2) 
  3. Beauty Never Dies (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #3) 
  4. Ladle Rat Rotten Hut (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #4) 
  5. Mary Mary Quite Contrary (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #5) 
  6. Blood Apples (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #6) 
  7. Once Beauty Twice Beast (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #7) 
  8. Moon and Madly (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #8) 
  9. Rumpelstein (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #9) 
  10. Jawigi (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #10) 
  11. Happy Valentine's Slay (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #10.5) 
  12. Children Of Hamlin (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #11) 
  13. Tooth & Nail & Fairy Tale (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #12) 
  14. Ember in the Wind (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #13) 
  15. Jar of Hearts (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #14) 
  16. Welcome to Sorrow (The Grimm Diaries Prequels #14.5) 
  17. Snow White Black Swan (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #15) 
  18. The Pumpkin Piper (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #16) 
  19. Prince of Puppets (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #17) 
  20. The Sleeping Swan (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #18) 





I've read few reviews on goodreads so I didn’t expect to be amazed. I was not, but I was surprised. I liked it. Even liked it so much that I gave these story four stars on goodreads! It wasn't that bad after all! It was interesting and fast read, and something new. We all know Grimm fairy tales but this time we see what human imagination can do with their characters. What if bad guys aren't bad at all? Just ‘cause we didn’t hear their stories doesn’t mean that they didn’t have one.


“But of course. Why would you care about a future that you have forged its past?” I smirked at him but he didn’t get my message. “It’s a disgrace,” I elaborated. “Even Snow White is portrayed so wrong. What have they done to her? This is nowhere close to who she really is. What she really is. All but being a master of faking her clichéd innocence all the time. They call me the Evil Queen without even knowing my real name for mirror’s sake.”

Story was full of interesting quotes that I liked.

“In my book, you’re the evil of all evil,” he whispered. “But when it comes to logic, I get confused sometimes. Many nights, I sat wondering about this but I never got a straight answer,” he turned his head back to me. “All I know is that evil is a point of view, to both: the reader and the protagonist, the predator and the prey, the dreamer and the Dreamhunter. People love me when I retell the stories they have collected. If I retell the story as it really happened, they blame and accuse me of telling a bad story, because readers expect stories to be logical, to have a linear plot, and to have plain good and bad characters, to have a hero and have a villain. That’s the difference between fact and fiction. A great writer is an excellent liar. And I am an excellent writer.”
“It’s better to fracture a myth and let it spread and let it cling to the gelatin minds of children over the years than to bury it. Things buried are sooner or later dug up and surfaced, and then the truth shall be set free. Things altered are harder to bring back to its normal source, because in the mind of generations who have inherited the idea and passed it from one to another, they will refuse to believe otherwise.”

I don’t know if I’ll read all 20 of them. I guess it depends if I’ll like the next one that I read ;)

This book I recommend to anyone who likes a different view at the stories that you already know.


About the author (CP from GR):

Cameron writes books that he can't find elsewhere, basically to amuse himself. Everything Cameron does is for fun, so don't take him seriously. Never call him a writer. He hates that. He prefers the word: Storyteller, or the boy next door who claims he can tell stories.

If you like his books, horaaaay! He loves ya too. If ya don't, hoooray! Now we know in advance that this relationship isn't going to work.
Although his books are ordinary on the surface, they hold many secrets that he might reveal one day. What matters the most to him are characters struggling to find their identities and place in the world.
you can follow him:

 

4 komentara:

  1. Zvuči zanimljivo za one koji bi voljeli čuti što stoji iza happily ever after, ali za mene je bajka bajka i princ na kraju mora pobuditi Uspavanu ljepoticu, kud puklo da puklo :D
    Ipak, sviđaju mi se autori koji bajkovite elemente uklapaju u suvremene romane (tako dugo dok je na kraju opet hepi end :P)- pa spremama i ja jednu na tu foru. :D

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Nisam sigurna koliko ce ovdje biti hepi end xD ovdje negativci ispadaju bolji od pozitivaca

      Izbriši
  2. Gdje mogu nabaviti te knjige hvala :)

    OdgovoriIzbriši
    Odgovori
    1. Cijli serijal izašao je u eknjigama... jedno vrijeme bio je besplatan, sad viš nije :/

      Izbriši